When I started out as a practicing engineer, I was extremely fortunate to have ended up working with some of the smartest people I've ever met. With their support I got a lot of neat things done, despite the many mistakes I'm sure I made as a younger and inexperienced engineer. A lot of the work is private and proprietary to my former company, but some of the public research that I did is linked below.
For example, the image on this project page comes from a group project for a CAD class I took at The University of Memphis. Pictured are the femur and tibia models, along with a fixture for attaching artificial knee implants. In developing this electromechanical knee simulator (sometimes called an "Oxford Rig" or "Oxford Rig"-like system), I modeled the leg components shown in the image, while my partner modeled the supporting frame. Later I built this system with another colleague and conducted several research projects with it together with even more colleagues. Some of the reseach is listed below.
- Wong PD, Callewaert B, Desloovere K, Labey L, Innocenti B. Determination of in vivo three-dimensional lower limb kinematics for simulation of high-flexion squats. Proceedings of the 12th Mediterranean Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, MEDICON 2010. Chalkidiki, Greece. May 27-30, 2010. p483-6.
- Wong P, Leardini A, Swings L, Callewaert B, Desloovere K. Knee in/external rotation range of motion and repeatability for eleven clinically relevant motor tasks. Proceedings of the 18th Annual Meeting of European Society for Movement Analysis of Adults and Children, ESMAC 2009. London, UK. Sep 16-19, 2009.
- Heesterbeek PJC, Labey L, Wong P, Innocenti B, Wymenga AB. A new spacer-guided, PCL balancing technique for cruciate-retaining total knee replacement. Knee Surgery Sports Traumatology Arthroscopy. 2014;22(3):650-659.
- Desloovere K, Wong P, Swings L, Callewaert B, Vandenneucker H, Leardini A. Range of motion and repeatability of knee kinematics for 11 clinically relevant motor tasks. Gait & Posture. 2010;32(4):597-602.
- Victor J, Labey L, Wong P, Innocenti B, Bellemans J. The influence of muscle load on tibiofemoral knee kinematics. J Orthop Res. 2010;28(4)419-28.
- Victor J, Wong P, Witvrouw E, Vander Sloten J, Bellemans J. How Isometric Are the Medial Patellofemoral, Superficial Medial Collateral, and Lateral Collateral Ligaments of the Knee? Am J Sports Med. 2009;37 :2028-2036.